Making the most of every opportunity
Spring semester at GIAL has a slightly more relaxed pace for me than the fall. My teaching load includes a number of distance-based classes, individualized directed studies with students, and supervising master's students as they write their theses. I don't have daily classroom teaching and preparation. This gives me time to focus on other important tasks, such as research, writing, speaking, and school committees. This month I was honored to be invited to Simpson University, in Redding, California, to spend time with several classes. Over just a couple of days, I spoke to four different classes. In those presentations, we looked at poetry by Emily Dickinson and Rainer Maria Rilke, excerpts from Shusako Endo's novel Silence , and ideas gleaned from Japanese American artist Makoto Fujimura. Those passages and concepts framed our story of working in Papua New Guinea for over 12 years, and the bigger picture of music and arts in missions. We pray that some of those stude...

Comments
Post a Comment